After testing dozens of shoes, consulting many experts and pros, and wearing the shortlisted models during actual basketball games to see how they fared, we have decided that the following three models are the 3 best womens basketball shoes 2020 currently available in the market.
Along with quick reviews for each model, we have also included a brief guide here. The guide will help you make the right choice when picking a pair of women’s basketball shoes.
Top 3 Best Womens Basketball Shoes 2020
Under Armour Women’s Jet Mid Basketball Shoe
These basketball shoes from Under Armour are designed for female players. The design of these shoes utilizes textile and synthetic materials. These ensure that the shoes are durability while at the same time keeping them breathable and incredibly comfortable to wear.
Inside these shoes and around the ankles, Under Armour has included additional cushioning which offers extra support to the wearer. The heel has a molded design that ensures a locked-in fit. At the bottom of these shoes, a rubber sole offers excellent traction as well as support that allow the wearer to maintain grip while making lateral moves at an optimum speed.
The midsole in the Jet Mid shoes come constructed from compression molded EVA. This keeps the midsole very responsible and lightweight at the same time. These shoes feature a classic black-and-white outlook. They are available in size options of 5, 5.5, 7 and 10. Weighing a mere 2.3 ounces, these shoes are definitely one of the most comfortable, light-weight and functional women’s models on the market.
Nike Women’s Hyperdunk 2017 TB Basketball Shoe
Nike is a name that needs no introduction. The company has a reputation for constructing world-class sports products. It is no wonder, then, that Nike products are regularly used and touted by the top names in various sports.
An example of Nike’s commitment to quality is the Hyperdunk 2017 TB basketball shoe. Nike has used mesh to construct these shoes. As a result, these shoes are very breathable and perfect for wearing through the hot season. Hyperdunk 2017 shoes come with flywire cables which are optimally designed to secure your foot perfectly and allow for a custom fit. In a departure from tradition, Nike has used lunar cushioning in these shoes. This is a kind of corrugated cushioning that ensures that these shoes are softer and lighter. Lunar cushioning also aids in running and impact.
The jacquard upper used in these shoes is engineered to be both comfortable and lightweight. The rubber outsole also features a unique design. It is specifically constructed to aid in multi-directional traction, a feature that is immensely important for a basketball game.
The Hyperdunk shoe is available in the following color options: Black/Metallic Silver/White, Black/White, and Blue. Available size options include 6.5 and 7.
Adidas Women’s Pro Model Zero W Basketball Shoe
Like Adidas and Under Armor, Adidas is not new to the arena of sports manufacturing. The company’s worldwide reputation for offering quality products is based on decades of performance. This is why we have included one of the Adidas models in our list of best women’s basketball shoes.
The Pro Model Zero W shoe has been made from 100% synthetic materials. This helps the shoe absorb moisture from your feet and keep them dry and well-aired during basketball games.
In the sole, Adidas delivers an unparalleled degree of stability and durability through a comprehensive cushioning support system. This ensures that you can absolutely rely on these shoes when jumping, running or making sudden lateral movements. The rubber sole is likewise designed to withstand strain and provide you reliable performance through countless rough games.
Adidas has also kept an eye on foot protection when engineering this shoe. This is clear from the Kurim shell toe which offers superior protection for the wearer. These shoes come with a self-tie closure system which lets you achieve a quick and perfect fit.
The Adidas Pro Model Zero W shoes are available in a single color options: Black/Running White/Metallic Silver. Size options for this shoe model include 7 and 7.5.
Types of women’s basketball shoes
Women’s basketball shoes are available in three distinct types, often categorized so based on the upper of the shoes. The same categorization is standard across basketball shoes in general. Using this categorization, the shoes can be categorized as High, Mid and Low.
- High: The type ‘High’ refers to basketball shoes that have a high-top profile. These shoes have an upper end that wraps around your ankle. This provided additional support and cushioning to the ankle area. However, it may also restrict movement and make lateral movements a bit harder to pull off. This is why ‘High’ shoes are typically recommended for players with aggressive game play. High basketball shoes are most often worn by players at the forward and center positions.
- Low: Low-top basketball shoes offer little to no support or protection for the ankle area. That being said, they are relatively the most light-weight type, which means that they offer optimal speed and agility. If speed is your primary concern over ankle safety, a low-top basketball shoe is the way to go.
- Mid: Mid-top basketball shoes are a good compromise between high-top and low-top designs. The top of these shoes just reaches the ankle without actually covering the full ankle. As a result, these shoes offer partial support and protection for the ankles without adding too much weight to the shoe. Mid-top shoes are perfect for players with a flexible style.
How to choose the best basketball shoes for women
When choosing basketball shoes for women, it is important to consider a number of factors. Following are some of the key factors to consider:
- Material: The material used in the construction of a shoe is the most important factor to consider. You have to keep your intended shoe use in view when checking shoe materials. For instance, if you are going to wear the shoes in the sweltering summers, you need a shoe material that is breathable and absorbs moisture. Generally, breathable material is a good choice. Synthetic, mesh and leather are also some other materials which are used in constructing women’s basketball shoes.
- Midsole: The midsole section is the area of the shoe where the direct pressure will be applied by your foot. This is why this area typically comprises of a good deal of cushioning. Cushioning options for the midsole section include EVA foam, compressed EVA foam and polyurethane. When looking at the midsole, you have to find a balance between comfort and stability. If there is a lot of cushioning, it may adversely affect stability. On the other hand, a very dense and stable midsole may be uncomfortable for the wearer.
- Outsole: A basketball game typically involves rapid lateral movements including jumps and brief runs. This is why it is important to have a shoe that can cater to these movements. The outsole of a basketball shoe is the area which directly comes in contact with the basketball court. When looking at the outsole, you should look for a design that offers both stability and agility. Stability is essential to be able to stay firm on your foot instead of skidding up and down the court. Agility is required to let you make lateral movements whenever required. A good outsole design features a hexagonal pattern to ensure better control.
- Shoe Aesthetics: The outlook and style of your shoes also play an important role. In a way, your basketball shoes are an opportunity to make a fashion statement and reflect your taste. It is best to choose a shoe style and color scheme that blends in with your overall persona and dressing. You can use bright colors to stand out and make a bold statement. Alternatively, you can go with signature models as a token of appreciation for your favorite players. Either way, make sure you consider the outward aspect of the shoes before you seal the deal.
Shoes are a vital part of your basketball gear. In fact, they are literally your most important accessory on the court. After all, you are going to jump, run and move around using your shoes. If the shoes support your game, you may be able to deliver a great performance. If they shoes don’t fit well, offer poor stability or do not support lateral movements, you may be bogged down by them. This is why it is important to consider all the aspects of a basketball shoe before making the final decision.
In the shortlisted models provided above, we have provided the top 3 shoes of this season. These shoes come from the best brands on the market and offer a good blend of performance, reliability and durability. That being said, you can still do your own research and make up your own mind. To help you with that, we have provided a brief guide above. You can use the guide to make sure you choose a pair of basketball shoes that are a good fit for you.